Pediatric Dermatology Incomes Up; Demand Persists: Survey

Pediatric Dermatology Incomes Up Demand Persists Survey image

Median total compensation for pediatric dermatologists has increased 37 percent since 2014, results of The Society for Pediatric Dermatology’s (SPD) latest compensation report show. The 2020 Pediatric Dermatology Physician Compensation Report, administered by ECG Management Consultants, uses the single largest data set of compensation and production information for pediatric dermatologists in the history of the specialty. 

Findings show that the median total compensation in the field is $335,395. Pediatric dermatologists working in an independent medical group bring in the highest amount at $495,833, followed by those employed in non-academic Hospital/Health System settings, at $440,000. Median compensation for private practice physicians is $300,000.

The response rate of 35 percent is impressive and makes the current survey fairly representative of the state of pediatric dermatology practice, says Mercedes E. Gonzalez, MD, Chair, SPD Practice Management Committee. She notes that the findings point to a need to continue to attract physicians to pediatric sub-specialization. “We found that 57 percent of the respondents practice within eight states. That leaves 43 percent of respondents to cover the other 42 States,” she says. “Over 50 percent of pediatric dermatologists work in groups with two or fewer pediatric dermatologists.”

While nearly 80 percent of respondents reported the patient relationship as the most fulfilling aspect of the profession, finding show that pediatric dermatologists are affected by burnout. “About 25 percent of the respondents say that they felt burnout often or always, and about 48 percent said sometimes,” Dr. Gonzalez observes. “This was somewhat surprising to me, but does speak to what's happening, especially in the last year to physicians in general where the feelings of burnout are increasing.” She says burnout seems to be related to the fact that 80 percent of respondents reported that paperwork and regulatory burdens were the least satisfying aspects of their job. 

Image courtesy of Society for Pediatric Dermatology.

Facebook Comments


We’re glad to see you’re enjoying PracticalDermatology…
but how about a more personalized experience?

Register for free